TAX TOOLS & FINANCIAL CALCULATORS
All tools provided by CalcXML and the IRS
Check on your Refund Status
Find IRS Tax Forms and Publications
Tax Due Dates
2017 Filing Season
Below is a list of the new federal due dates generally applicable for 2016 tax returns (2017 filing season) and beyond.
March 15 (Extensions Until Sept. 15)
Form 1065, U.S. Return of Partnership Income; and
Form 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation.
Note: This is the due date for the tax return and also for the Schedules K-1 that the entity must provide to its owners.
April 15 (Extensions Until Oct. 15, Unless Noted Below)
Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return;
Form 1041, U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts (extensions until Sept. 30);
Form 1120, U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return (extensions until Sept. 15 until 2026, see note below); and
FinCEN Form 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) (any late filing penalty for a first-time filer may be waived).
Note: Calendar-year C corporations can get extensions until Sept. 15 until tax years beginning after 2025, when the extended due date will be Oct. 15. June 30 fiscal-year-end C corporations (returns due Sept. 15) can get extensions to April 15 until tax years beginning after 2025; after 2025, June 30 fiscal-year-end C corporations will have an Oct. 15 due date and can get extensions until April 15.
May 15 (Extensions Until Nov. 15)
Form 990, Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax (series).
July 31 (Extensions Until Oct. 15)
Form 5500 for employee benefit plans.
Note: The Form 5500 extension due date of Oct. 15 remains unchanged. The Surface Transportation Reauthorization and Reform Act of 2015,3 signed into law on Dec. 4, 2015, repealed the employee benefit plan Form 5500 extension provision in the July 2015 highway bill, which had provided a 3½-month filing extension until Nov. 15. As requested by the U.S. Department of Labor, the result of the Form 5500 extension provision in the December 2015 Act is that the Form 5500 extension is back to 2½ months, due on Oct. 15. Note that there was a negligible revenue effect from the Form 5500 due date extension as no tax payments are made with filing this return.4
Other Forms That May Be Affected
Although the legislation does not go into detail about due dates for various other forms, it should be noted that forms that are tied to the due dates of the above forms will need to be revised accordingly. For example, Form 5471, Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Certain Foreign Corporations, will likely be changed to coincide with the corresponding return’s new due date. Some other forms that are likely to be changed to go along with the corresponding return’s new due date are:
Form 926, Return by a U.S. Transferor of Property to a Foreign Corporation;
Form 5472, Information Return of a 25% Foreign-Owned U.S. Corporation or a Foreign Corporation Engaged in a U.S. Trade or Business (Under Sections 6038A and 6038C of the Internal Revenue Code);
Form 8804, Annual Return for Partnership Withholding Tax (Section 1446);
Form 8805, Foreign Partner’s Information Statement of Section 1446 Withholding Tax;
Form 8858, Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Foreign Disregarded Entities;
Form 8865, Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Certain Foreign Partnerships; and
Form 8886, Reportable Transaction Disclosure Statement.
– See more at: The Tax Advisor
Tax Calculators - Provided by CalcXML
- What is my potential estate tax liability?
- 2016 federal income tax calculator
- Should I adjust my payroll withholding’s?
- Will my investment interest be deductible?
- How much self-employment tax will I pay?
- Capital gains (losses) tax estimator
- Compare taxable, tax-deferred, and tax-free investment growth
- How much of my social security benefit may be taxed?
- What are the tax implications of paying interest?
- Should I itemize or take the standard deduction?
- What is my tax-equivalent yield?
- 2017 tax refund estimator
- Tax freedom day
- Lease or buy an automobile?
- Loan vs. 0% dealer financing?
- What would my auto payments be?
- Upgrade to a more fuel efficient vehicle?
- Auto loan: accelerated payoff
- How much vehicle can I afford?
- How much should I be saving for college?
- Can I pay back my student loans?
- Advantages of the Coverdell ESA
- Advantages of a 529 college savings plan
- The value of a college education?
- Payments on a parental (PLUS) loan?
- Live on campus, off campus or at home?
Home & Mortgage
- How much home can I afford?
- Should I refinance my home mortgage (break even)?
- Mortgage calculator
- Comparing mortgage terms (i.e. 15, 20, 30 year)
- Should I pay discount points for A lower interest rate?
- Should I rent or buy a home?
- Should I convert to a bi-weekly payment schedule?
- Compare a ‘no-cost’ versus traditional mortgage
- What are the tax savings generated by my mortgage?
- Which is better: fixed or adjustable-rate mortgage?
- Adjustable rate mortgage calculator
- How do closing costs impact the interest rate?
- Compare an interest-only versus traditional mortgage
Paycheck & Benefits
- How much is my company bonus after taxes?
- How will payroll adjustments affect my take-home pay?
- Convert my salary to an equivalent hourly wage
- Convert my hourly wage to an equivalent salary
- Future value of my employee stock options?
- Exercise my “in-the-money” stock options?
- What may my 401(k) be worth?
- Impact of increasing my 401(k) contribution?
- What may my 457 Plan be worth?
- Impact of increasing my 457 Plan contribution?
- Will retirement impact my living expenses?
- How much will I need for retirement?
- Are my current retirement savings sufficient?
- Social Security retirement income estimator
- How does inflation impact my retirement income needs?
- I’m retired, how long will my savings last?
- When should I begin saving for retirement?
- Convert discretionary expenses to savings?
- How much retirement income may my 401(k) provide?
- Compare a Roth 401(k) to a Traditional 401(K)
- Does inflation impact my standard of living?
- How much am I spending?
- How much do I need for emergencies?
- Pay down debt or invest more?
- How long will my money last?
- Should my spouse work?
- What is my current net worth?
- What is my projected net worth?
- What is my current cash flow?
- What is my projected cash flow?
- Value of reducing or foregoing expenses
- Historical inflation – compare purchasing power
- How long will it take to pay off my credit card?
- How long until my loan is paid off?
- What are my loan payments?
- What is the balance owing on my loan?
- Consolidate my personal debt?
- Re-structuring debts for accelerated payoff
- Cash up front or payments over time?
- Impact of making extra debt payments?
- Pay off debts or invest the money?
- Estimate my credit score
- How much life insurance do I need?
- What is my life expectancy?
- What are my needs for burial and final expenses?
- How much disability income insurance do I need?
- What are the chances of becoming disabled?
- What are my long-term care insurance needs?
- How much will I earn in my lifetime?
- What are the tax advantages of an annuity?
- How long will my current life insurance proceeds last?
- What is the future value of an annuity?
- Which is better, comprehensive plan or high-deductible plan with HSA?
- Compare a taxable investment to a tax-deferred investment
- Evaluate my company pension payout options
- How much can I contribute to an IRA?
- Retirement income from my IRA provider?
- Convert to a Roth IRA?
- Qualified plan is worth what retirement?
- Current year required minimum distribution?
- Projected required minimum distributions?
- Lump sum distribution options?
- Maximize my employer 401(k) match?
- Impact of borrowing from my 401(k) plan?
- Impact of early withdrawal from my 401(k)?
- I’m self-employed, how much can I contribute to a retirement plan?
- Net Unrealized Appreciation (NUA) vs. IRA Rollover?
- Becoming a millionaire
- Income generated by a savings plan
- How long will it take to double my money?
- How long until my savings reach my goal?
- Save now vs. save later
- How much should I save to reach my goal?
- What will my current savings grow to?
- Calculate rate of return
- How do taxes and inflation impact my return?
- What is my effective annual yield?
Choose your State to find a Form or Publication
Choose your State to check on your Refund
Brook St. 3rd Fl
Lawrence, MA 01841